Saturday, October 11, 2008

Mentors -- The Ultimate Career Boosters

A good education, solid grades, compelling references, a nice personality, strong resume, intelligence, all requisites for landing a rewarding job or for being promoted. But there’s another career booster that trumps all of above—being mentored

A mentor is a person, usually older than you, who perceives something good in you-- honesty, talent, likability, work ethic. Then subtly does things to help you along. Chances are the mentor was also helped by another mentor, and he or she is paying back

To explain, I was fortunate to have had mentors during early school years, college, first job, second job, community activities, and more. At the time of my being mentored, I was not even aware I was being mentored. Reflecting upon this much later, I had had at least a dozen mentors--teachers, ministers, family members, business executives and U.S Navy superiors.

To the extent that I have had a good life, I owe all to my mentors. I never thanked all of them, a horrible regret. I believe they knew they influenced me, which is my only consolation.

Lesson learned: Be aware that a mentor may be watching you, encouraging you and subtly doing little things to help you reach your goals. Listen to them, respect the experience they want to share and somewhere down life’s path, thank them.

No comments: